Game Night! August 14, 2020 1900EST5EDT/2300UTC
Hey, all! It’s that time again! We’re having a game night.
I thought you just had one
We had a low-key one on July 29, 2020 at 2000EDT but we didn’t get many takers. We played Half-Life .1 However, we played cooperatively in the campaign via Sven Coop. You can watch some highlights here:
- RIP Chimples
- Jthan kills everyone in his greedy pursuit of gold
- Jthan thinks it’s Opposite Day
- Jthan still thinks it’s Opposite Day
- Jthan scouts out for us
- Jthan outsmarts an automated ceiling-mounted turret
- Paden finds the little box we need, does a 180, and promptly ignores it
- Paden learns how to read
- Jthan is bad luck
- Jthan does it again
- Jthan climbs a rope
- The first of many times Jthan kills everyone with a tripmine
- Paden and r00t^2 share a moment of quiet desperation
So what about this one?
The next game night, August 14, 2020 at 1900EDT, was Half-Life: Opposing Force .1 I’m fairly certain you didn’t need to own a copy to play; you just need to install Sven Coop (link above), which is free.
We beat HL: OP early, so we played Half-Life: Blue-Shift .1 Unfortunately the stream I managed to broadcast was only my audio, not everyone’s and it was just me (r00t^2), Jthan, and Nosbig. It was pretty uneventful, though, so you didn’t miss much. (Sorry! It was a last-minute thing with little to no time for testing beforehand.)
By the way, I was right and Jthan was wrong. You absolutely can blow up that rocket.
[11:55 PM] jthan: @r00t^2 how many things have I not blown up in half life? [11:55 PM] jthan: I tried to blow it up [11:55 PM] jthan: if it were possible [11:55 PM] jthan: we'd have all died [11:56 PM] r00t^2: ^ that is **literal video proof** that it's possible. you just weren't good enough [11:56 PM] jthan: spoken like my true dad
You can watch some highlights here (from HL: OP):
- It’s always Jthan’s fault
- Jthan summons a portal with his teenage angst
- r00t^2 can’t find Paden
- r00t^2 predicts the future
- ‘Chimples died mysteriously’ 1/4096
- ‘Oh, there’s a chumtoad!’
- ‘Did she fall down again?’ ‘I think this might be the worst part.’
- He does it again
- ‘Yeah, don’t run into the electric- PADEN.’
- r00t^2 forgets how to ladder
- r00t^2 has poor hearing
- r00t^2 tries to climb a ladder ‘ammediately’.
- Great res, 10 out of 10 would res again
- Running and jumping
- Doing it without falling off
- r00t^2 catches the covid
- ‘Chimples was smashed’
- Just checking to make sure friendly fire is off
- Waaaaiiit… GO!
- ‘Do you really want to be tied with me for deaths?’
- ‘How are you alive?!’
- It might kill you immediately, but we’ll see.
- ‘…Just go.’
- Jthan moves out of the way
- Is this downloading from a server or The Internet™?
- Jthan almost kills us all
- Jthan is probably frustrated
- Jthan learns about scripted event dependencies
- r00t^2 games the game
- Jthan is back at it again
- r00t^2 still has poor hearing
- Paden learns about the Displacer Gun.
- Jthan traumatizes a scientist
- Excuse me, what did WE do to him??
- Jthan ruins everything
- Jthan is wrong again
- ‘Oh no.’
- ‘Aw fuck.’
- Paden remembers about the Displacer Gun
- Jthan doesn’t understand what games are
- Jthan is a liar
- Paden learns about splash damage
- Paden learns about splash damage again
- Jthan doesn’t listen to instructions
- Jthan narrowly misses death
- r00t^2 doesn’t know what worms are
- Jthan is still a liar
- Paden is still learning about the Displacer Gun.
- Paden throws a party for Gonomes
- Jthan is wrong yet again
- Jthan is wrong yet again
- Jthan is a saboteur
- ‘Back up BACK UP!’
- ‘Back up.’
- For once, Jthan actually didn’t do it this time
- It’s okay, they’re married
- Paden defuses a bomb
- He almost made it
- To be fair, it’s usually Jthan
- Another one bites the dust
- You can see the boss fight (and actual end) of HL:OP here.
Where’s the server?
The information was pinned in our Discord’s ‘#game-night’ channel.
Please be sure to see the Game Night HOWTO/FAQ.
1 If you want to buy all three, though you shouldn’t need to, I’d recommend you get the discount bundle for less than 15USD. Not too bad.