S3E6: "The Hubris of Man"
|Previous Episode||Next Episode|
|S3E5: "Remotely Interested"||S3E7: "Dude, Where's My Cert?"|
|Recorded (UTC)||Aired (UTC)||Editor|
|2018-05-10 02:50:31||2018-05-19 22:11:22||"Edita"|
We give an update of our personal projects, Jthan and I announce a joint project for Arch users, and we talk a bit about whether webapps should be packaged. The birth of me saying “paythan”.
- Samsung devices are now foisting Yahoo! apps onto its users.
- Chinese actors found to be behind a decade of attacks.
- No duh.
- Tech giants only care about privacy and backdoors when they’re affected.
- 7-zip, of all things, has announced a vulnerability.
- Github and Twitter both discovered they were logging some plaintext passwords.
- These were likely not leaked (that we know of) to the greater public, and we’re assuming they scrubbed their logs, but it’s best to change your password for both.
- An exploit has been developed that will BSOD Windows even from the lockscreen.
- Law enforcement have been using SiriusXM and OnStar for surveillance for more than 15 years.
- Though I’d imagine the vehicle’s emergency button should still work even if the OnStar service isn’t purchased, much as how even deactivated mobile plans must still be able to dial 911.
Starts at 26m0s.
I was drinking Jefferson’s Reserve bourbon. Paden was drinking Stella. Jthan was drinking Dry Dock’s Amber Ale.
- Personal projects update
- Paden upgraded his home network and ISP line.
- Jthan has been feeling burned out, so he hasn’t been spending as much time on projects.
- He has however been working on a website and mail server for a horse rescue.
- He’s been working towards his RHCSA and RHCE.
- He’s been working on some deployment snippets as well.
- He’s also been working on his website (again).
- He’s been thinking of starting a knowledgebase of fish cross-compatibility.
- He also wants to do Orchids-as-a-Service?
- I’ve been working on OpTools (as mentioned by Jthan).
- Jthan and I’s announcement (45m16s)
- We’re writing an AUR helper for Arch Linux that should kick ass.
- Jthan asks about packaging webapps in a distro’s repository (52m0s)
In this segment, we highlight system administration mistakes. Think of them as the IT equivalent of the Darwin Awards. (1h04m36s)
- Paden indeed was not in S0E17, and it indeed was the only one that had Annal in the title.
- No, Jthan, we never talked about running your own SSL/TLS PKI. I double-checked.
- Our editor PM’d me while editing and asked me if I (r00t^2/bts/Brent) wanted to keep my “paythan” slip-up in there. I said this in response:
06:41:29 <r00t^2> hrmmm.... i say leave it in because i can see it becoming a meme 06:41:43 <r00t^2> it'll be how i refer to paden and jthan collectively from now on lol
19:39:43 < r00t^2> !jthans_maserati 19:39:44 <@sysbot> jthans_maserati is http://s42.photobucket.com/user/adamtinkerer/media/adamtinkererscollection006.jpg.html
|Intro||Tired Traveler on the Way to Home||Andrew Codeman||click||CC-BY 3.0||Outro||Every Day Life is a Popular Hoax||Yan Terrien||click||CC-BY-SA 4.0|