S1E7: "Wake Up Call"
|Previous Episode||Next Episode|
|S1E6: "I Tour My ACL"||S1E8: "On the Origin of Processes"|
|Recorded (UTC)||Aired (UTC)||Editor|
|2016-05-12 02:36:33||2016-05-23 09:17:32||brent s.|
On-call, F/OSS in schools, debugging Linux kernel backdoors, and we revisit a previous Baddie “winner”.
Starts at 2m13s.
- Microsoft has removed Wi-Fi Sense.
- Also from the Halls of Microsoft, BitKeeper has been opensourced.
- Phrack is back! They released issue 69.
- DuckDuckGo gave 225k in funding to various F/OSS projects.
Starts at 9m36s.
I was drinking the same rum as I have been the previous few episodes. Jthan was drinking a Duchesse de Bourgogne (and he totally butchered the pronunciation) from Verhaeghe Brewery Brouwerij. Paden was drinking a Best Damn Root Beer (as well as the same vodka he’s been drinking in previous episodes).
- Fanbase name! (11m01s)
- How do you feel about being referred to as “Syssies”? Let us know!
- On-call (12m00s)
- Jthan is spoiled and hasn’t handled on-call (yet).
- I mention Nodeping
- Which… isn’t really ALL that useful, but will at least tell you if a box is up or down.
- …and Pushover
- Which has a pretty neat API
- And I use ConnectBot and Hacker’s Keyboard.
- I also mention Pingdom and PagerDuty.
- And I also mention Nagios and Icinga (which we mention in S0E15).
- Paden and I also mention The Website is Down.
- Penn Manor School District’s F/OSS software (35m06s)
- Analysis of a backdoor in the Linux kernel (43m32s)
- I have a crazy conspiracy theory surrounding the Baddies winner in S1E5 and the data deletion snafu at 1-2-3 Reg. (44m43s)
In this segment, we highlight system administration mistakes. Think of them as the IT equivalent of the Darwin Awards. (47m22s)
An unknown sysadmin caused medical equipment to fail because it isn’t compatible with anti-virus, and a scan was scheduled during a procedure. Thankfully the patient is okay, but it could have gone a lot, lot worse.
- I mention that there are Phrack packages in Arch; I was mistaken.
- Additional SFX used in this episode were from “Hallelujah Chorus” by George Friderich Handel (of Messiah) (Standard YouTube License)
|Intro||Killers||Kevin MacLeod||click||CC-BY 3.0||Outro||Cyborg Ninja||Kevin MacLeod||click||CC-BY 3.0|