S1E14: "The HOPE Campaign"
|Previous Episode||Next Episode|
|S1E13: "A Challenger Appears (Again)!"||S1E15: "Backwards Passwords"|
|Recorded (UTC)||Aired (UTC)||Editor|
|2016-08-22 20:03:05||2016-08-29 02:34:19||"Edita"|
We primarily re-broadcast the Radio Statler segment that Jthan and I had with Johnny Xmas and Deviant Ollam that took place at the Eleventh HOPE.
Also, a big shoutout to Beaches! Thanks for trying to wake our sorry asses up.
Starts at 5m02s.
- ADA sends malware to dental offices
- Rowhammer attack targets Linux VMs
- DDR4 Memory is vulnerable to Rowhammer
- Also affects ‘the Cloud’.
- The Falseconnect vulnerability affects a ton of shit.
- A Linux bug leaves a bunch of big-name sites vulnerable.
- Microsoft’s ‘Golden Key’ for SecureBoot was leaked
- A flaw in Samsung Pay lets attackers wirelessly skim credit cards
- A Louisiana sheriff raided the house of a blogger that called him out.
- And our good friend Skip Oliva, whom you may recognize from the errata in S1E12, let us know there’s actually a HUGE backstory behind this one that we didn’t even know about!
- It should also be noted that the blogger was a suspect, there was no actual hard evidence, even.
- Fireeye is planning layoffs.
- NSA had a zero-day for Cisco routers.
- Cisco patched it, but seriously- we’ve known about this kind of stuff for a long time.
- Plus (not mentioned), this is two years old now.
- Seriously, just roll your own. You stand a better chance.
Starts at 15m28s.
I was drinking Lieutenant Blenders Mojito in a Bag (lol). Jthan was drinking Chimay. Paden was drinking his Buckeye Vodka.
This episode was something special. On the Radio Statler schedule, the segment is actually called Red vs. Blue. However, we end up agreeing more often than not between us! (Which is how it should be.)
- A good takeaway from Deviant is “Don’t fight the report tooth and nail”- exceptions should be used sparingly if at all, and ALWAYS remediated in whatever way they can.
- The term Johnny requests for computers that can’t be updated because they’re mission-critical? I didn’t mention it but I came up with “mission-critical obsolescence”.
- Johnny says the biggest deal that would get the biggest payoff is 2FA/MFA, and it bugs him a lot when there’s pushback on it.
- I mention Lesley Carhart. You should definitely follow her.
- We also plug Jason Scott, along with his projects Archive.org and Textfiles.
- The tweets I reference can be found here with source links.
- Deviant was indeed actually slashing a big ol’ knife inches from Johnny’s face. Hilarious.
In this segment, we highlight system administration mistakes. Think of them as the IT equivalent of the Darwin Awards. (53m32s)
This one. Oh my word, this one is SO GOOD. The NSA was compromised. And it is hilarious. Lol.
- The “thing” is most definitely a thing.
- I definitely, definitely said “had a kid” at 13m25s. Jthan.
- The vow I mention at 17m45s that I couldn’t remember the name of at all? A Nazirite vow. The worst part is that I remembered as soon as we left the recording booth. :\
|Intro||Bit Shift||Kevin MacLeod||click||CC-BY 3.0||Outro||I'll Be My Mirror||8in8||click||CC-BY-NC 3.0|
Categories Season One
There are currently no comments on this article.